Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Taper a Jean or Lightweight Jacket: DIY

alter your jean jacket or lightweight jacket in just 3 easy steps
Happy 2013!

I thought I'd start out the new year by sharing a quick how-to for tapering a light-weight jacket or fitted coat (without lining). Although with all the holiday food I ate I probably need to be taking it out!

If you have a light-weight coat or jean jacket that seems a little bulky, it's easy to alter the side-seams to give it a leaner, more feminine appearance.

This jean jacket was a little big for me, and although I wanted it a little roomy, it just felt too bulky.

To give it leaner lines, I decided to take in the sides just a touch. And believe me, at this point I'll take anything that makes me look leaner!

Here's the Jean jacket before the alterations, in all its bulky glory. And here it is after I tapered it.



Taper a bulky jacket - before photo

Much nicer, don't you think?

It really didn't take a lot to taper the jean jacket and give it a nice feminine waist line. 
Just 3 easy steps.

1 Turn your jacket inside out and line up all seams. On a flat cutting surface, cut one side from the bottom hem up to just under the armpit, tapering it to your liking. Take the excess fabric piece and lay it on the opposite side seam. Pin it down to copy the previous side's measurement and cut.

2 Pin the newly cut seams in place.

3 Sew a straight stitch the length of the newly tapered side seam. Finish with a serger or zig zag stitch.

Easy tapered jacket alteration instructions

All cinched up and ready to wear!




Never miss a post! Subscribe to ShannonSews
Like on facebook.com/SSorensenDesigns
Follow @ShannonSews1 on Twitter
Subscribe to youtube.com/ShannonSews

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! Thanks so much for your comments! ♥

Blogging tips