I hope you are all enjoying this holiday season.
I can't believe the new year is just around the corner!
Yesterday my mom, sister and I went to the downtown Seattle Anthropologie. Their sale items are placed right as you walk in the door...how did they know it wouldn't take long for me to find something I couldn't live without??
I've been eying Anthropologie's ruffled aprons for-ever.
So lovely and feminine.
However, I'm am a grease magnet when I cook. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten a greasy spot or two on the front of my shirt that seems to have flown out of nowhere. And yes, it's because I was too lazy to open a drawer and put on an apron. Pathetic.
I decided that although this apron is absolutely beautiful just the way it is, it wouldn't be able to protect the few grease-less shirts I still have left.
So I decided to turn this waist apron to a full apron, by adding a top, and hoping at the same time to maintain it's delicate style.
Again, here is the before:
And here it is after my apron refashion:
I really like how it turned out. It kind of feels like it was always meant to be this way.
I found some flowered cotton material in my stash that worked for the top, and used natural muslin for the neck strap.
Here are a few tips on how I refashioned a waist apron to a full apron:
The piece of flowered fabric I had was only about 7" wide and about 23" long
In order to have enough material to extend the top width, I had to cut the 23" long piece in half long-ways and then in half vertically to add two panels to the front.
Here I have each piece pinned right sides together to the main front piece. Most people would already have it wide enough to start with. Measure across your chest to see how wide you want the front piece.
After sewing the side panels to the main front panel:
I hemmed all sides and top, then ironed down seams to lay flat.
I attached the top to the waist of the apron by sewing it wrong sides together and stitching along the bottom hem line of the waist (with cream colored thread to match the apron waist).
When finished, I flipped up the front and top stitched across the front of the waist to secure it. (sorry no photo)
For the neck piece, I cut about a 4" wide x 22" long piece of natural muslin, folded it in half and straight stitched.
Ironed the seams down
Turned it right side out and top stitched about 1/4" in to secure.
I should have left about 1/2" on each edge to turn under, but I forgot and didn't want to take the top stitching and original stitching out, so I opted for a zig zag stitch on the ends (since they wouldn't be showing anyway).I stitched the neck strap ends to the back side of the top by top stitching on the front of the apron, in a rectangle shape to secure all four sides (switching back to light blue thread)
I'm so excited to wear it! But I guess that means I have to cook... :)