Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Dolman Sleeve Rayon Top with Bow and Gathered Neckline

Dear Internet,

What do you call a sleeve that you cut as part of the shirt but it isn't actually cut-out? You know, the sleeve that isn't really a "sleeve"? If you cut around the outside of your shirt but don't actually cut out sleeves, what do you call that?

Sincerely,
Clearly Clueless

Ladies and Gentlemen, let me introduce to you the Dolman Sleeve:
So that's what it's called!
Thank you Internet for understanding me, in spite of myself.

{image credit}
This whole Dolman Sleeve hoopla started when I made my first polka dot blouse last week, with sleeves, but without a pattern (I'll be posting about it later this week). As it turns out, making sleeves without a pattern for the 1st time, was a little more aggravating than I expected.

So...as I contemplated my next torturous sewing exercise, the thought came to me. I've seen shirts with sleeves already part of the garment. I have no idea what they're called, but I want to make one! [insert jumbled clueless internet search words = Dolman Sleeves].

*You're welcome for making a short story even longer.

Without further delay, here's my Dolman sleeved, rayon blouse with a gathered neckline and coordinating polka dot bow. I even added a ruffled hemline for kicks.


Dolman sleeve in all its glory



I decided to use a couple remaining pieces from my polka dot blouse as a bow, to give it a little contrast.
I gathered the neckline to give it a little more interest.


Making your own Dolman Sleeved top is actually really pretty easy.
  • I just laid down an oversized t-shirt and cut around it for my pattern
  • I cut a lower neckline for the front and a higher neckline for the back.
  • Just make sure your seams match up on both pieces (shoulder, arm, & hem).

  • For your basic top, just hem the neckline and arm holes, stitch together the shoulders, then the sides, and finish with the bottom hem.

Easy breezy, loose fit!


▶▶▶Here are a few great summer shirt sewing ideas◀◀◀
They are now all on my to-do list!!




Never miss a post! Subscribe to ShannonSews
Like on facebook.com/SSorensenDesigns
Follow @ShannonSews1 on Twitter
Subscribe to youtube.com/ShannonSews

3 comments:

  1. i am so in love with this top. it is so cute. the sleeves are genius, that is usually my least favorite part sewing dresses for pearce. you are so brave and creative making up your own patterns!!! i think i'm ready to do a LITTLE pattern making up (for pearce)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this shirt! It is adorable! I love to sew and found your blog via Pinterest awhile back. I have been following your blog via email for awile and am always looking forward to seeing new posts!

    I was recently told about a blog hop. A fellow blogger, Abbie, told me about it and invited me to join. I thought you might like to join as well to find other blogs and share yours as well! (http://lovinourchaos.com/follow-me-friday/)

    Helen

    Blue Eyed Beauty Blog and Angel Light Photography by Helen.

    (http://blueeyedbeautyblogg.blogspot.com/) (http://angellightphotographybyhelen.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen,
      Thanks so much for your sweet comment and invitation to the blog hop. Sorry for the slow response, I've been out of town for a few days. I'll jump over and check out the blog hop now. I'd also like to check out your photography site!

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! Thanks so much for your comments! ♥

Blogging tips