Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Seattle Skyline Pillow

I have to say, that I'm really excited about my newest pillow:
Seattle Skyline
I half-heartedly dropped it off this afternoon where I'm doing consignment...I secretly wanted to keep it for myself.


I love living in Seattle. I'm a Seattleite through and through. I love everything about this place. Yes, even the rain (although if it were sunny a few more days out of the year I wouldn't complain). I grew up here, lived away for a time, but came back to stay. It will always be home.


I'll share with you how I made it.
  • The 16x16 pillow case is made of cotton muslin, pre-printed cotton jersey, and an iron on image.
  • I took this picture of the Seattle skyline up in the beautiful streets of Queen Anne. I made sure to use my own photograph, since I'm selling this pillow.
  • After plugging the picture into photoshop and trying out a few different filters, I decided on this one. I liked how the black and white etchings outlined each structure just the way I wanted it to.
  • I flipped the image to mirror, and printed it on an iron-on transfer. Then I transferred it onto a piece of ripped, bleached cotton muslin. I liked the way the ripped edges gave it character (sorry, this picture doesn't show it). I washed the print a couple of times to give the stiff iron-on feel a little more softness.

  • Next, I wanted to frame the picture somehow. Remember the newsie pillow? I had a few scraps left. So I outlined the ripped muslin with pieces of jersey "newsprint". I like how it turned out. Kind of gave it a grunge feeling.



  • And here's the back. Nine times out of ten I make my pillow cases removable. I like to have options I guess.

See how easy it is to use your favorite photograph, transfer it to an iron-on and turn it into a unique pillow case? You should try it!

If this one sells, I will be happy that someone loves Seattle like I do and wants to take a piece of it home with them. If it doesn't, I'll think it's fate's way of telling me it was always meant to be mine. :)

Linked to:

5 comments:

  1. Shannon, you are so creative and have so Many talents. The Seattle picture is so Seattle and it is so charming on a pillow. I have a feelin that pillow will sell fast, so sorry you might have to make another for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow!! that's super cute and very profesh!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi shannon,
    what a fabulous idea:))..... I found your blog through sew much ado... and I just love it!...
    hugs:))...
    M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very stylish and pretty pillow. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. VERY COOL! This project has so many possibilities! Thank you for sharing...I saw your post at "DIY Design"

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! Thanks so much for your comments! ♥

Blogging tips