Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Tortured by my Dermatologist (over a little sebaceous hyperplasia)

sebaceous hyperplasia painful removal true story
I know this sounds more like a LifeTime movie than a blog post (and maybe it should be), but it's a true story. It happened to me just yesterday and it's still real fresh, as in the wounds are literally still healing and gooey with Aquaphor ointment.

Let me start out by asking a few simple questions. and no this is not a riddle.

A dentist wouldn't pull a tooth without novocaine, 

and an ER doc wouldn't stitch someone up without a shot of lidocaine, 

so why in the heck would a Dermatologist torture me by stabbing a hot electric needle into my face time after time, without anything to numb the pain?! That is a great question. 


*Amazon links are included in this post - Disclosure: as an Amazon associate I receive a small commission on products purchased through our links.

My Torturous Sebaceous Hyperplasia Removal

The more I think about my horrific experience at the Dermatologist yesterday (lets be honest, the torture continues in my brain as I revisit the horrifying experience multiple times a day), the more angry I get.

There are so many ways it could have been done so much better, and to think it was all just over a little removal of sebaceous hyperplasia (bumps on my face caused by plugged, dysfunctional pores).

If you have bumps on your face with a little indentation in the middle, you too might have sebaceous hyperplasia that is generally worse on those with oily skin and gets worse with age (add it to the list). 

Their appearance can sometimes be minimized with skincare products (see my favorite products below) but to make them "go away" you have to have a dermatologist remove them. If you decide to go that route like I did, just make sure you listen to this podcast so your experience is nothing like mine was.


→ Listen Here for all the grizzly details of how I was indeed tortured by my dermatologist





Sebaceous Hyperplasia Helpful Products 

*Amazon links included - Disclosure: as an Amazon associate I receive a small commission on products purchased through our links.

paulas choice serum to reduce appearance of bumps on face
Paula's Choice BHA9 Serum (*Amazon)

I apply this serum every other night just to my nose and sometimes to my forehead where I get sebaceous hyperplasia. Because I have sensitive skin I have to be careful I don't get it on other parts of my face (like my cheeks) but it works great to help the bumps on my face appear a bit smaller and more smooth.





healing ointment for post dermatology procedure
Aquaphor Healing Ointment (*Amazon)

This is what I've been applying to my post-treatment sebaceous hyperplasia areas to help healing. The ointment seals the areas well and keeps them protected for better healing. 





 

washcloths for sebaceous hyperplasia on face

Fairface Washcloths (not on Amazon)

These are the best and only washcloths I use on my face. The soft flannel is perfect for gentle post-treatment cleansing (when scabs are sturdy - use gently) and great for gentle exfoliation of existing sebaceous hyperplasia areas.







No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! Thanks so much for your comments! ♥

Blogging tips