Monday, January 9, 2012

How to use a Hemmer Foot a.k.a how to sew a rolled hem

Okay, so as promised, I'll tell you a little more about using a hemmer foot to produce that lovely ruffly pillow I bragged about (the one I made my mom for Christmas).








I posted a while back about sewing with a hemmer foot to make this lovely pink frosting-like pillow case back in August.



But I have to admit, since that time I've gotten even better at using a hemmer foot and found a few tricks that help make practically perfect seams every time. I know, there I go bragging again. Bear with me.

I found some great tips on this video. I'm so much better at learning something when I can watch it and practice it. I watched another video and gleaned some goodness off of hers too, but for the life of me I can't find it again. Sorry nice lady!





Three of the best tips I found
for using a hemmer foot for a rolled hem-

#1. SLOW AND STEADY (take a chill and slow it down)
#2. Fold over material and finger-press to create a starter seam
#3. Help your hemmer foot do the work by continuing to fold over your seam & hold fabric taut


Okay, lets put these tips to work:

  • I folded over and created a start to the seam the same width as the groove in the hemmer foot (I used a 4mm).  This is cotton fabric, so pressing the seam down with my finger held it well.



  • I folded it over again and finger-pressed it. This became the start to the seam.



  • I put this seam directly under the hemmer foot and stitched a few stitches to secure it


  • Next, I pulled the fabric up and in the hold of the hemmer foot.





  • I continued to fold over the material as it feed through, while holding it taut (slightly-tight but not too tight). It helped guide the material through the foot neatly.


  • Here's me in action. Keeping the continuous fold, while guiding the material and holding it taut. (You have no idea how tricky it was to get this shot. What I won't do for my blog.)


  • Check out the left seam. Straight, straight, straight!


  • So precise. And practically perfect. What'd I tell ya?

  • Gotta love this technique!


It made sewing these ruffles so much easier.



Don't do it the hard way, give those sewing feet a try!


Never miss a post! Subscribe to ShannonSews
Like on facebook.com/SSorensenDesigns
Follow @ShannonSews1 on Twitter
Subscribe to youtube.com/ShannonSews

6 comments:

  1. Thank you! I recently bought myself a rolled hem foot and spent a bit of time fighting with it :) Time to try again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips. I have used the foot but never been satisfied with the results. I like your tip about the first few stitches on top. I will try that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. seems a little less scary now - hmmm I don't have a hemmer foot (yet) but will keep this in my 'when I'm ready to try' file! thanks for sharing!

    www.northerncottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you soooooooooooo muuuuuuuuch! I used my grandma's sewing machine and I didnt know the use of that pressed foot. You make my day because I do a lot of handcrafts :) lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. I appreciate you stopping by! Glad I could help! :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! Thanks so much for your comments! ♥

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips